Wednesday, August 21, 2013

YAY FOR RURAL SCHOOLS!

In our tiny community we are fortunate to still have a public school for kindergartners through 3rd graders.  The last few years there has also been a preschool for 4 year olds.  They have one teacher and one aide and all the age groups are together for most of the day.  Enrollment varies wildly every year.  I believe there has been as many as 14 in the past and this year there are 5 (ALL GIRLS!) - counting the 3 preschoolers.  Busing is available for the school-age kids and it can be a really long bus ride - 20+ miles for some.  They do amazing things with the few kids that in larger group settings would not be possible.  4 year old granddaughter Brooklyn is absolutely loving it this year.


2 comments:

  1. What a unique opportunity. She will have stories for her grandchildren. Sounds like you need to volunteer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they have enough adults to go around :) and....even at 4 years (going on 18) Brooklyn said on the first day I took her, "Grandma, you don't have to come in with me, I can go by myself." I do think I'll see if they need extra help on field trip days - they get to go to some cool places!

    ReplyDelete