Friday, June 28, 2013

IT'S A BOY!

Very pregnant Lucy cow was not herself yesterday afternoon - not eating and swishing her tail a lot.  Sure enough, just as we were about to go to friend's for dinner, one last check showed her in labor.  Luckily, our friends who are ranchers also, understood and re-scheduled for tonight.  Lucy did an amazing job for a first-timer.  I did have to help a little as the calf was pretty big and Lucy is a bit overweight so she was puffing. Of course, she picked the ONLY spot around that was dirt!  Very healthy, BIG bull calf Rob named "Dusk" as he is the color of a late sunset and was born at about 7:45 pm.  Lucy is a such good mom -she let me help him get started nursing with only a few low moos to let me know she was still in charge.  GRAPHIC photos follow:













4 comments:

  1. How udderly awesome!!!!!! Congratulations. I wish there were MORE graphic photos..and up close!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I had to choose the picture taking moments when my hands were free and relatively goo free. I'd forgotten how hard is is to pull a calf - much more so than lambs!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! Such a big boy. I love the name - great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love calving! One of my favorite events on the ranch.
    --Ryan

    ReplyDelete